Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Clarification

Hello. I am so sorry I missed you all at the kickoff. It was my "once every 5 years get sick as all get out" week (knock on wood).

Someone asked a question about the attendance at the Showcase Sessions so I thought more of you might have the same question.

The Showcase Sessions are required, but not all of them. As long as half of your total sessions throughout the year are Showcase Sessions, you will be fine. You do not have to hit all of them - you can pick from what is available when you can attend. We will continue to add more sessions. As long as you end up at the end of our Academy with 5 Showcase sessions, you are in good shape.

I hope this makes sense. It is late and I am tired!!!

Denise

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the clarification. I knew going into this that there would be a need to attend the sessions, and I have several listed on calendar which I plan to attend.
    I'm also looking forward to hearing Dr. Elizabeth Barkley speak at the SPC-MLK Employee Development Day (10/26). She is a co-author of Collaborative Learning Techniques, a book which was given out at last week's Showcase session.
    CAB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Barkley is also the author of Student Engagement Techniques. I have both books and recommend them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended another Collaborative Learning and Teaching session this weekend. This time, Foundations was the title, and it was held at NVC.
    My experience was affirming and inspiring, as I revisited a few old methods of tried and true collaborative teaching techniques, and inspired to see how they can be applied across the curriculum. The methods can be used just as easily for a Math class as they can be applied to a History or English course. I remain hope-filled with what is to come out of the academy and how I will apply it to the services I provide to students in higher educational institutions.

    ReplyDelete